Published: January 18, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
The holidays are truly over, the snow has arrived and for a lot of mid-valley and up-valley residents, it's the season to venture out for work, school, church, provisions and not much else.
But for many parents in the area there is one other trip out into the cold they will have to make: it's the time of year for signing your kids up for the upcoming season of T-ball, baseball and softball.
At the Jessup Borough building last weekend, the Jessup Youth Sports Association was accepting applications and a steady trickle of parents and kids came through to fill out the forms.
"It helps when people sign up early, so we can start to get an idea of how many teams we will have," said Mark Avellino, the president of the association. "People think it's too early but we're already planning."
Time is definitely on the mind of Joe Miraglia of the Carbino Club Little League team, who is trying to get the word out that national officials in Williamsport have set an earlier-than-usual deadline of Friday, March 1, for local organizations to submit lists of coaches and rosters of players.
"People think there's plenty of time and, because it's cold, nobody's thinking about it, especially the high-school-aged kids," he said. "But we're facing a tight deadline."
Here's a rundown of signups scheduled in the next few weeks. See the "Sports & Fitness" section of The Advantage for an updated list each week.
- The Olyphant Little League will hold registrations for T-ball (ages 4-6), coach pitch (ages 7-8), minor division (ages 9-10) and major division (ages 11-12) Fridays, Jan. 18 and 25, 6-8 p.m. and Saturdays, Jan. 19 and 26, 10 a.m. to noon at the Olyphant Borough Building, 113 Willow Ave. Call 878-7416.
- Lakeland girls softball will hold registration Saturday, Jan. 19, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Sunday, Jan. 20, 2-4 p.m. and Wednesday, Jan. 23, 6-8 p.m.
- The Valley Area Girls softball league will hold registration Saturdays, Jan. 19, 26 and Feb. 2, (snow date Feb. 9) 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesday, Jan. 30, 6-8 p.m. at the Blakely Borough Building, 1439 Main St., Peckville. Girls ages 5-17 are welcome. Call 241-5817 for more information.
- Valley View Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth baseball will hold registration Saturday, Jan. 19, noon to 2 p.m. at the Blakely Borough Building, 1439 Main St., Peckville. Players ages 5-15 from Blakely, Peckville, Archbald, Eynon, Jessup, Dickson, Olyphant, Throop, Jermyn and Mayfield are eligible to play. Call 885-0672 for more information.
- Dickson City girls softball will hold registration Sundays, Jan. 20, 27 and Feb. 10, noon to 4 p.m. at the Dickson City Civic Center, 935 Albert St., Dickson City. Call 906-4839 or 780-3095 for more information.
- The Jessup Youth Sports Association will hold registration for softball, baseball and T-Ball players at the Jessup Borough Building, 395 Lane St., Saturday Jan. 26, noon to 2 p.m.; Saturday, Feb. 9, 10 a.m. to noon; and Saturday, Feb. 16, 3-6 p.m. Girls ages 6-17 are eligible for softball, boys ages 6-8 for baseball and children ages 4-5 for T-Ball. Registration fee is $50 per player or $80 for family. Players from all towns are welcome to sign up. Registration forms will be available at www.eteams.com/jysa. Call 687-4735 or 876-8053 for more information.
- Carbino Club Little League will have registration Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 26 and 27 from noon to 2 p.m. at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 5544, 205 Dolph St., Jessup. The fee is $70 for one player, $90 for two and $100 for three or more family members. Registration by the above dates is required to meet new Little League deadlines for team rosters. Players ages 7-18 (boys who live in Jessup, Eynon, Peckville, Blakely, Winton and Sturges; girls in the Valley View School District and any surrounding community that does not have Little League softball) are eligible. Adult volunteers should bring a driver's license and Social Security card. Email email@example.com or call/text 575-1945 for more information.