Veterans Day Events
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
Veterans Day is Sunday, and the following events are among the commemorations of the day that have been scheduled. All events take place on Sunday, Nov. 11.
- In Jermyn, the William J. Griffith American Legion Post No. 465, will hold its annual Veterans Day program at the World War I Park on Bridge Street at 3 p.m. The guest speaker will be former Air Force Sgt. Michael Bednash Jr. He is a graduate of Lakeland High School and entered the Air Force in 2000. He was stationed for six months at Batram Air Force Base, Afghanistan. He is the son of Michael Bednash Sr. and Sarah Burns Bednash and the grandson of the late Matthew Bednash Sr. and Lorette Bednash, founders of Bednash Petroleum.
The Lakeland High School Band will render military selections and the Jermyn Community Chorus will sing several patriotic renditions. Christine McGeachie will sing the national anthem, and Lillian Shust will end the ceremony with "God Bless America." The Mayfield Boy Scout Troop and Jermyn/Mayfield Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts will serve as honor guard for the Military Veterans of the Post as they post the colors, perform the military rite of the firing of the rifles, and the reading of the names of the military roll call of the dead of Jermyn, dating back to World War I.
Immediately following the ceremony, a light supper will be served in the school room of SS. James and George Episcopal Church, which is located across Bridge Street from the park.
- In Carbondale, the auxiliary of American Legion Post No. 221, 13 Hospital St., Carbondale invites all veterans to the post beginning at 10 a.m. for hot dogs, chili and chips.
- In Olyphant, Raymond Henry American Legion Post No. 327, 101 Willow St., Olyphant, will had a ceremony beginning at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be state Sen. John Blake.
- In Jessup, Michael Sterner American Legion Post No. 411 will hold a ceremony at the veteran's memorial on Hill Street at 11 a.m. Veterans and residents are encouraged to attend. Light refreshments will be served at the post home, 508 Church St., following the ceremony.
- In Throop, the members of Herbert Clark American Legion Post No. 180, and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 7251 will conduct memorial services at the Veterans Memorial Monument at 10 a.m. All members will then proceed to the VFW Post 7251 Memorial Monument for services at 11 a.m.