Dear students and parents of the Lakeland School District:
The Lakeland School Board voted 8-0 to follow the recommendation of the Lakeland Pandemic Team during a special meeting held on Aug. 5 to begin the 2020-21 school year virtually. The Lakeland School District has identified a three-tiered approach for the return to school in the 2020-21 school year, with the ultimate goal of having all students returning for in person instruction five days a week, when it is safe to do so.
The LSD Health & Safety plan was designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of all our students and staff. Using this three-tiered approach, the Pandemic Planning Team proposed and the board approved the following:
- Begin the 2020-21 school year on Monday in the Tier 1, Full Time Distance learning phase until Oct. 2.
- Transition to Tier 2, In Person Hybrid Learning on Oct. 5, after analyzing all factors including number of cases, community spread, etc. In Tier 2, students will be split into groups. Group A will attend school in-person on Monday/Tuesday and Group B will attend on Thursday/Friday. Students will have access to learning both live (synchronously) and through recorded lessons (asynchronously) on days they are not attending school at a Lakeland School building.
- Finally, when it is safe to do so, return for five full days of in person instruction, following all safety procedures needed.
We realize that starting virtually poses many challenges for our parents and students, but we believe that this was the prudent and safest choice for our students and staff to begin the 2020-21 school year, while this pandemic continues to spread across our state and country. I do want
to assure our students and parents that the virtual learning model that will be provided on Day 1 of the 2020-21 school year will look quite different from the spring of 2020.
We plan to offer the highest quality instruction possible through our virtual learning model using our highly qualified and caring Lakeland School District teaching staff. A few highlights of these changes include:
- All students in the LSD who have not already been issued a Chromebook will receive one.
- Teachers will provide students with Live (Synchronous) Instruction on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday of each week. Wednesdays will feature a day of “Independent” (Asynchronous) Learning for all students, additional small group opportunities such as remediation, enrichment, clubs, resource and individual tutoring and support will be scheduled on asynchronous days.
- All lessons will be recorded and posted on the teachers’ Google Classroom for asynchronous access in the evening.
- Daily attendance will be taken and live instruction and interaction between teachers and students will occur daily through Google Meet and/or Google Hangout.
- All student work will be submitted electronically and graded by their teachers.
- Teachers will also be available for office hours to meet with students and parents individually.
- We also plan to distribute any textbooks, workbooks, materials and/or manipulatives that may apply to the various grade levels and/or courses offered.
As indicated earlier, our goal is to return all of our students and teachers back to our schools as soon as it is safe to do so, but in the meantime, we plan to do whatever it takes to provide each student with the highest quality education possible. We look forward to the opening of school on Monday and if parents have any questions that are not answered on our website at www.lakelandsd.org, please contact your child’s principal.