The Saint Ubaldo Society will host the 2023 la Festa dei Ceri on Saturday, May 27 in Jessup. The schedule is as follows.
- 6:15 to 7:45 a.m. (LA SVEGLIA): The Drummers and band members from Valley View High School will walk throughout town to wake up the dignitaries of the Festa dei Ceri starting from the St. Ubaldo Cultural Center, 310 Third Ave., Jessup.
8 to 8:30 a.m. (VISITA AL CIMETERO): All those participating in the day’s events are asked to meet at the top of the hill of St. John’s Italian American Cemetery, Primo Saldi Drive, Jessup, for a procession, wreath laying and prayer service performed by the Rev. Andrew Kurovsky.
10:30 a.m. (LA SANTA MESSA): A Mass in honor of St. Ubaldo will be held on the steps of the St. Ubaldo Cultural Center.
- Immediately following Mass, 11:30 a.m. (L’USCITA DEI SANTI/ ANNOUNCEMENT OF 2024 CAPITANI): The 2024 Primo and Secondo Capitani will be announced and the saints will leave the St. Ubaldo Cultural Center and be placed on a carrier to lead in the procession to the Old St. Mary’s Church.
- 11:30 a.m. to noon (PROCESSIONE DEI CERAIOLI E SANTI): Procession of Saints, ceri and all ceraioli/ceraiole from the St. Ubaldo Cultural Center to the Old St. Mary’s Church, Jessup.
Noon (L’ALZATA): Alzata or Raising of the Saints to take place at the old St. Mary’s Church. This is one of the most vital portions of the Festa dei Ceri as the Saints are “risen to life” to see the light of day.
- 12:30 to 1:40 p.m. (LA MOSTRA): Each saint will be paraded throughout town, stopping at the homes of past ceraioli/ceraiole.
- 4:20 p.m. (PROCESSIONE DELLA STATUA DI S. UBALDO): The large statue of St. Ubaldo will leave promptly at 4:20 p.m. from the St. Ubaldo Society Cultural Center and process the route (in reverse) of the Corsa. The Saint Ubaldo Society invites all who wish to carry the large statue to do so, respectfully.
- 5:30 p.m. (LA CORSA DEI CERI): The annual Corsa dei Ceri will start on Powell Avenue in Jessup and wind through the streets of the town, ending in Veterans Memorial field.
- Following the end of the Corsa (PROCESSIONE DEI CERI E SANTI ALLA CAPPELLA DI S. UBALDO): A procession with all artifacts used throughout the day will be processed back to the St. Ubaldo Society Cultural Center from Veteran Memorial field. At this point, once all artifacts are placed in their resting position until next year. Once the Large Statue is in place, a closing prayer performed by Rev. Andrew Kurovsky.