Carbondale Area Junior/Senior High School hosted a Fall Sports/Marching Band Senior Night for seniors who participated in fall sports or the marching band during their high school careers.
This year, the seniors missed their final seasons on the field and golf course due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The event took place at the high school late last month. Students honored represented the Charger football, golf, and soccer teams, as well as the school district’s marching band.
Students and their immediate families met in the parking lot of the high school. They participated in a parade throughout the city of Carbondale, where they were cheered on by friends, other family members and the community. Upon arriving back to the school, they participated in a socially distanced ceremony with their parents and school faculty, staff and administration. They were treated to grab-and-go refreshments following the ceremony.
“It was disappointing not having a senior soccer season, but the Senior Night was a nice way to end our fall sports careers. It was nice seeing my fellow classmates and teammates again, as we have not been in school,” said senior soccer player Alyvia Schiavone.
“I am really happy the school did something for us seniors. I was really upset that we missed the football season. It was nice to be on the field with my teammates one last time and share the experience with them and my parents,” senior football player Ray Ofner added.
“It was nice to see our Fall Sports seniors recognized for their contributions to Carbondale Area Athletics,” said Lawrence Gabriel, Carbondale Area’s athletic director. “(Joseph) Farrell (high school principal) and the high school staff did a fantastic job organizing the event. Obviously, it was very upsetting to see our student-athletes miss out on their seasons. Our kids have worked very hard to showcase their abilities. We realize we are in uncharted territory this school year. However, we remain hopeful we can soon return to school and sports. I wish all of our seniors well in their future endeavors.”
Students recognized include:
- Cheerleaders Aniela Connolly, Taylor Mazza, Erin McHale, Nalla O’Dowd and Amelia Muta.
- Band members Michael Bossick, Kaitlyn Kilmer (also a drill team member), Shane Phillips, Gianelly Prieto and Ariel Williamson.
- Golfers Giana Arnese, Bayley Grizzanti, Matthew Heenan and Nathan Totsky.
- Soccer players Kacydi Brewen, Olivia Liuzzo, Deana Mancuso, Avianna Pugliese, Alyvia Schiavone, Halley Schwartz, Sarah Tolerico and Shakee Hoskins.
- Football players Hector Acosta, Devin Boston, James Kizer, Donovin Loomis, Joseph Mark, Jose Mendez and Raymond Ofner.
For a web gallery of all 29 students honored at Senior Night, visit thevalleyadvantage.com/news/school-news.